Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thought Bubbles

Why are you drawing on Priority Mail stickers…?  Do you know how many times I get asked that question? Well here goes… the last time I posted on this blog was around the last time that I visited San Francisco.  While I was there I got to see art “Alive…” It was everywhere; on the walls, on the furniture, all around the city.  Anywhere where your eyes could see, there was art.  For an artist, it was like walking around and seeing the inside of our brain, except this was outside… DO YOU KNOW HOW COMPLETELY AWESOME THIS IS? It was also confusing to me; I had been taught my whole life that art was rigidly defined; it was in museums, it was on paper, and most importantly, it was not graffiti. San Francisco was a safe haven for free thinking.

So, upon my return to Washington DC, I started a project that would allow me to not only unlock my creativity; but push me to re-define how I saw art.  I was going to make living art; art that could grow and change, art that respected the creative process.  I decided I would launch my Sticker-A-Day project; each day I was going to draw something on a sticker with the hopes of learning more about who I am as an artist.
Hypothesis: This was going to be AMAZING!

At the outset, I was super excited, and I planned on being the best graffiti artist in the world… that did not happen.  I did however; learn that this was the perfect way of giving life to those little thoughts that popped into my head.  The stickers took 10-20 minutes of my day, and made me feel more alive with each one.  Then, they started taking more time, and it became harder each day to think of new material. Throughout the journey there were ups and downs, but I did complete the process.  Now a great friend of mine , Dennis Manual, is helping me chronicle this journey into a book.  Take a look at the slideshow to see my awesome journey… Conclusion: this was AWESOME!



No comments:

Post a Comment