Monday, September 23, 2013

Artist Spotlight: Laura Lee Gulledge

photo.JPGAs I stood in line patiently waiting to receive a watercolor sketch by Chris Schweirzer, my wife browsed around and found several artists she thought I might be interested in.  After finally getting my sketch completed, we set a course for several of her favorite (female) artists. Our first stop was one of the most unique and impactful of the day: Laura Lee Gulledge.

Laura Lee Gulledge is an artist, author, graphic novelist, and all around outstanding person; my wife was right.  The path from teacher to artist that Laura is on mirrors my own; she has bravely and intelligently ventured into the world to find her way of communicating with it, and making it a better place. Laura is indeed a creative, brave, and inspiring presence in the world. 

As someone who is not an avid reader, I would highly recommend her graphic novels.   Page by Paige is one of the most compelling stories of a connection to art that I have ever read; it’s beautifully illustrated and every bit as inspiring as the author herself.  I’m currently in the midst of reading her second graphic novel, Will & Whit, which is equally as enjoyable.

I am overjoyed by the opportunity to have met Laura Lee Gulledge and if you couldn’t tell already, that meeting has really inspired me. It is the job of each person to touch as many people as possible in their time on earth; thank you Laura for having the courage to do just that.  If you want to know more about Laura Lee Gulledge, please click on the links below; I really encourage everyone to take a look at her webpage and enjoy the many conversations you are likely to have with her amazing art.

http://www.cobaltdesigns.biz/lauralee/

No comments:

Post a Comment